Today's post will show you what most people do, why that method so often fails, and how to set goals that actually inspire action.
I'll also share a new way to reach one goal that should be on everyone's list. More on that later.
The Wrong Way
Take a look at these common New Year's resolutions:
- Get more sleep
- Lose weight
- Stay connected with family and friends
- Save money
- Get a better job
Left as they are, these goals are rarely achieved. I know this, because it's how I used to write my own New Year's resolutions before I realized why I wasn't achieving them. You want to know why?
Here it is:
I wasn't achieving them because I didn't know how to take the first step.
Think about it. If it requires energy to think about what the first step is, it's much more likely that I'll just look at it for a few minutes, and then quickly move on to something I know I can do in the time I have.
Instead being inspiring, goals this broad can actually be depressing!
I firmly believe this is why so many studies show that most people give up on their New Year's resolutions by March. There is a better way.
The Right Way
Adding specific steps and dates, for example, provide the much-needed direction and purpose to spur you into action.
For example, below is that same list from above, this time with specifics.
The New List
- Instead of "Get more sleep":
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep each night by getting to bed no later than 10pm, and getting up at 6:30am. (this should give you more than 7 hours, and allows for 'falling asleep time'.)
- Instead of "Lose weight":
- Plan my meals each day and exercise at least 4 times per week, lose an average of 3 lbs per month by midnight on May 31, 2017, for a total of 15 lbs. Continue this routine to maintain that weight or lower through December 31, 2017.
- Instead of "Stay connected with family and friends":
- Make plans with friends and/or family at least three times per month, and once per month, make contact with someone from your past. (Continue reading below to see how to make this easier).
- Instead of "Save money":
- By January 31, open another account at my bank, and change my direct deposit to save 10% of each paycheck to that account. Increase it by 3% when I get my next raise.
- Instead of "Get a better job":
- Update my LinkedIn profile and resume to focus my experience and talents towards the area of my work that I want to pursue, and actively participate in at least two networking events in my industry by March 31.
Would you be more likely to make progress on these resolutions?
Clearly, you should substitute dates and other specifics with what is appropriate for you, but you get the idea.
How to Stay Connected (even during a lunch break)
I said I would let you in on something that can help you reach a very important goal – staying in touch with family and friends.
Behavioral science experts agree that maintaining positive personal relationships is one of the best ways to live a happy life. But the excuse is often that we can't find the time, and this is true! Many of us are too busy sitting in front of our computer screens at work.
What we have in place is a messaging service that you can use to send text messages (SMS, MMS) directly from your browser to someone's phone.
While we all use our phones to text, being able to copy and past text and images from your computer into a text message is surprisingly useful, especially when the other person is always on the go. Our more senior users also find it much easier to text their loved ones as well.
The best part is you can receive messages as well, and see your whole conversation, just like you can from your phone.
Our messaging platform is the same one used by the big companies including Uber, Coca-Cola, and Airbnb, which means you know it's it's reliable and free of spam.
We will soon have international and group messaging.
I've extended the Early Access Program (EAP) to get more feedback before rolling out the service officially. The EAP is free to use, and you can register and start sending messages today at the following link:
Start Sending Messages Today: eap.MammothMessenger.com
In fact, one of our current EAP users has been messaging their family quite often over the holidays, and we've already used some of his feedback to improve the service.
I'm setting a limit on the number of EAP users, and it's only free during the EAP, so don't wait. Register for free today!
Remember to use the tips above to set actionable resolutions that you will inspire you to take action. Have a safe and happy new year!